People are moving all the time in search of better job opportunities, lower costs of living. People sometimes decide to change their address simply because they want to make a fresh start and change their surroundings. But the problem is that moving can be expensive. Nevertheless, over 40 million Americans move each year. The trick is to find reliable yet affordable movers North East MD that will help you to organize the move. Also, there is a lot that you could do to lower the costs of a move. This is why we have prepared a simple guide for moving to North East MD on a budget. So, make yourself a cup of coffee, and let’s see how you can save some money when moving.
Find an affordable yet reliable moving company
There are many moving companies Maryland to choose from, but sadly not all of them represent a good choice. We know that your goal is to save money, but you shouldn’t go for the cheapest possible solution. When the price is much lower compared to other companies on the market that is usually a sign that something is not right. Listed below are some of the possible scenarios of hiring shady moving companies:
- Your movers are late.
- They never show up.
- Damage to your belongings.
- Theft of your belongings.
- Hidden clauses and additional costs.
The first rule of moving to North East MD on a budget – pack on your own
Getting packing services is useful when you have to move in a hurry and you don’t have enough time to pack on your own. Likewise, packing bulky and heavy objects like pianos or kitchen appliances is also a job for a professional. You can pack the rest on your own. You just need packing materials, time, and good organization. Here is how to do it:
- Make a moving inventory. This is essentially a list of your belongings. Creating this list will help you keep track of what you have already packed. It will also lower the chances of forgetting something.
- Create a smart labeling system. The best way to do it is to label the boxes by rooms and contents. You can also use numbers and different colors to further organize your boxes.
- Determine the order of packing. One of the rules of successful packing reads that you should first pack those items that you are not using often.
Moving to North East MD on a budget is more feasible when you declutter your home
This is probably the best time to clean and declutter your home. You are moving soon, and you want to begin a new chapter in your life with a clean and organized living space. Furthermore, decluttering your home will help you to save some money when moving? Here is how:
- Lower moving costs. The price of every relocation depends on two main factors. The distance of the move, and the weight of the shipment. The logic is quite simple, the less stuff you decide to transport, the less you will pay for the move.
- Time equals money. There is a lot of wisdom to this saying, and for a good reason. If you get rid of piles of unnecessary items, the packing process will be a lot faster. This gives you plenty of time for other errands.
- Money gained from sales. Instead of just throwing out everything that you don’t need, see if you can sell something online. You can also organize a yard sale. You would be surprised how much money you can get. The only question is – do you have time for that?
You will need packing supplies to pack on your own
So, we already pointed out that a good way to save money when moving is to pack on your own. But if you want to do this, you will have to get some moving supplies. Here’s what you need to get:
- Cardboard boxes
- Packing tape
- Packing paper
- Bubble wrap
- Marker pens
- Sticker labels
- Basic tools like scissors, screwdrivers, and pliers
- Wheel dollies and hand trucks for large objects
You can get most of these items at any local hardware store.
Relocating to North East MD on a budget – get used packing materials
While any hardware store is a safe bet, you should aim for used materials if your goal is to save money.
- Search for used packing supplies online. Websites like Facebook or Craigslist are the perfect place to find stuff like this.
- Ask your friends for help. Do you have friends who recently moved? Maybe they have some leftover boxes.
- Visit your local supermarket. Who receives daily shipments of various boxed goods? The answer is supermarkets, grocery stores, vine shops, bookstores, and so forth. Drop by any of these stores and see if they have used boxes that they could give you. Explain that you are moving soon and that you need all the boxes that you can get.
So, how to find a reliable moving agency?
The first thing that you should do is to ask your friends for advice. Do you have friends who recently moved? See if they can recommend you a moving partner. If this is not the case, you can search for companies online. But, be careful, and consider these factors:
- Is the moving company fully-licensed? Every moving company has a USDOT number issued by the FMCSA. This proves that the moving company is legitimate and insured.
- Online presence. Every respectable moving company has a dedicated website or a social network page where you can see photos or read the comments of other clients.
- Call them on the phone or visit them in person. Are their personnel uniformed, friendly, and ready to assist you? This speaks volumes about the company.
All things considered, moving to North East MD on a budget is not impossible. Follow the advice we have presented above and you will have no problems.
How It Works
Give us a call or fill out a non-obligatory free moving estimate on our website.
Express your requirements
Tell us about the scope, distance, and type of your moving process.
Let us simplify your move
We’ll provide the most suitable, convenient, and efficient solution for your relocation.